In light of the tensions caused within some communities as a result of household-level targeting in food aid programming, it was decided that the project would give equal levels of assistance to each household in the targeted villages. Villages were selected according to the following criteria.
- Food security: so that households would not use the assistance to buy food, it was essential that people enjoyed minimal levels of food security.
- Degree of mortality and damage.
- Degree of household poverty and vulnerability.
- Multi-sector approach: other Save the Children sectors should
be working in the village, to ensure maximum outreach capacity and pre-existing relationships.
- Overlap: avoid areas where other agencies were doing similar work